It can't be December already, can it? I started looking through my Kindle and bookshelf to create my Top 10 Books of 2013 list (coming soon to the blog) when I realized that several of the books I read this year came out well before the last 365ish days. That’s what I get for letting my book queue get so backlogged I’ll never catch up!
So while I continue working on my list of favorite books I read this year, here are five that I wanted to get to in 2013 and just didn’t.
- Just Between Us by J.H. Trumble. Trumble’s gay-themed fiction is among the best in the genre and I hate admitting I’m a little behind on her books. I did get to her last novel, the compelling Where You Are, earlier this year, so its follow-up is waiting patiently on my Kindle..
- Cat Sense by John Bradshaw. A few years ago I scoured the local animal shelters in search of a dog when I fell for two orange feline sisters, the last two of a litter left abandoned outside a vet’s office. Having them has opened my eyes to the fact that cats are cooler than they sometimes get credit for. This book is supposedly not a manual as much as a look at cats’ place in history, today’s society and the future.
- Mrs. Poe by Lynn Cullen. Historical fiction about the alleged love life of Edgar Allan Poe? Sign me up.
- And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini. Big fan of Hosseini’s The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns so I’ll get to this one eventually. Some reviews have called it his best, so I look forward to judging that for myself.
- Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan. With a cover image that depicts what the title suggests, this one caused a bit of a stir, or so I heard. Like Trumble’s book above, this one is waiting patiently on my Kindle.
I could go on, but five seems like a nice enough number at which to stop. If you’ve read any of these books, share your thoughts below. Meanwhile..